Main Information


Main Information



Applicants will be considered for admission if they satisfy the following:

Submit a high school diploma or a GED

Submit a completed admissions application,

Submit a $100 nonrefundable application fee,

Submit an updated resume,

Submit a personal statement that describes the applicant’s professional accomplishments and goals.

Copy of valid government issued ID

Online students must have access to the Internet

*Students applying for the graduate program must also submit a copy of their official transcripts from their undergraduate program.


Since the classes in both formats are the same, students will be able to take classes online or on campus to fit their schedule. There are no additional fees for taking a class online. However, a student will not be able to start and class in one format and change to another format in the same semester. If a student chooses on-campus one semester and wants to change to online the following semester the student will have to complete a change of status form and it has to be approved by the Executive Director.



A schedule of courses is published and distributed at the Office of the Registrar approximately one week prior to advance registration for each semester. Please note that the information contained in the schedule is subject to change at any time. Students should confirm the information prior to registration.

Returning students may register during early registration period or regular registration periods. Please consult the Academic Calendar for the dates. On the dates set forth in the Academic Calendar, students must register for courses offered by the University. Before students are eligible for registration, they must have undergone academic advisement.

Students may register by completing the registration forms and delivering such forms in person to the Office of the Registrar.


Students may make schedule changes by filing a drop/add request form with the Registration Department during the drop/add period. The end of the first week of classes is the last day for adding and changing courses. Please see the academic calendar for specific dates.


For every course offered at Okan International University, the professor is to provide to the students at the beginning of the course a course syllabus that contains the following written information: (i) the method of evaluation and (ii) course requirements and value towards the final grade.


Students seeking to transfer credits earned at another postsecondary institution to Okan International University or from Okan International University to other institutions should note that the transferability of credits is at the discretion of the accepting institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not another institution of the student’s choice will accept credits. The policy of the University regarding the evaluation of course content from other universities to determine its equivalency with a course offered at Okan International University is that approximately three-fourths of the course content must match the content of the course offered at Okan International University if it is to be accepted for transfer. For evaluation purposes, students must provide a copy of the course description for the course to be evaluated and the school catalog for the time period during which the course was taken. Evaluations and maximum number of credits allowed for transfer are handled on a case-by-case basis.

Students who request an evaluation to transfer credits from universities or colleges must pay a fee of $ 350.00 for the evaluation of the course, before any evaluation of transfer credits can take place.

Decisions regarding transferability of credits are not necessarily made prior to enrollment. Only students who have been fully admitted to Okan International University may submit their transcripts and course descriptions for evaluation. Students are encouraged to submit official transcripts as soon as possible. Okan International University recognizes credits from accredited higher education degree granting institutions, and will not transfer credits for courses below college level. Evaluation of transferability of credits is performed by the Registration Department. On occasion, the Registration Department may seek the advice of an expert or faculty member in a specific discipline to perform course evaluations.

Courses may be denied for transfer under the discretion of the Registration Department depending on the date courses were originally taken. A grade of C or higher is required to receive transfer credit. However, grades for classes that were transferred from another university are shown as “T” on the transcript and will not be used in computing the student’s grade point average. For graduate students, no more than 9 credits will be transferred; and other documentation may be requested, such as sample of coursework.


Students who contemplate a change from one program or major to another should discuss this possibility with the Executive Director to determine the effect such a change would make on the student’s satisfactory academic progress. The university defines satisfactory academic progress as completion of the total program in no more than 1.5 times the number of semesters described in this catalog for the program. All credits attempted count toward the total program length of 1.5 times the number of semesters required for completion of the major program.

If a student changes his/her major or program only the credits that are common to both programs may be accepted toward the new degree program.


Students may request a leave of absence from their academic program in cases where personal circumstances temporarily disable them from achieving progress. Leave of absences are granted with the reasonable expectation that the student will return from the leave. The University may grant leave of absences to a student who did not provide a request earlier due to unforeseen circumstances. In these cases, the University will determine the beginning date for the approved leave of absence, and will collect the request from the student at a later date.

All requests for a leave of absence must be made in writing, signed and dated. The Registration Development will evaluate all requests on a case-by-case basis; these must include the reason for the student’s request, and are subject to further documentation before receiving authorization. All documentation will remain confidential at the Registration Department. Notification of authorized leave of absence will be issued to the student, including the scheduled date for return. This notification will also be made available to concerning departments.

Students must return to the university by the date for which the period for the authorized leave of absence ends. If a student fails to enroll in the semester following the last term in the authorized leave of absence, the student will have failed to maintain continuous enrollment, and will be treated as a withdrawal. After two consecutive semesters of non-enrollment, students must follow the procedures for readmission, outlined in this catalog. A student returning from a leave of absence is required to resume training at the same point of the academic program that he or she began.


  1. Students are evaluated after the completion of every course and at the end of each academic semester.
  2. If a student fails a course before the semester ends, the student is immediately placed on academic probation.
  3. The student will remain on academic probation until:

(1) The student retakes the failed course when it is next offered and passes it on the next attempt; or,

(2) The student retakes the failed course and fails it again; or,

(3) The student takes another course (before retaking the first course) and fails it.

  1. If the student takes the course a second time and passes it, the student is removed from academic probation.
  2. If the student fails the course for a second time, the student is academically dismissed from the college.
  3. If the student takes another course (before retaking the first course) and fails it, the student is academically dismi
  4. At the end of a semester, any student whose cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is below 2.0 or whose successful completion rate is less than 75% of all credits attempted will be placed on academic probation.
  5. The student will have one semester to raise his or her CGPA to 2.0 or higher and/or their completion rate to 75% or better.
  6. Any student who fails to earn the minimum CGPA or the required completion rate by the end of the probationary semester will be academically dismissed from the college.



Any student who has been placed on academic probation for the first time but who feels that there were mitigating circumstances that caused him or her to fail the SAP standard, may file a written appeal with supporting documentation to the Academic Director, who, with the Executive Director will make the decision whether to accept the student’s appeal. If the student’s appeal is granted, the student will be considered to be making satisfactory academic progress.


Any student who has been academically dismissed will not be considered for readmission to Okan International University until 6 months have passed. The student will have to reapply for admission, satisfy all admissions criteria in effect at the time, satisfy any outstanding financial obligations to the institution, and retake any failed classes before proceeding to other courses.


The grading system for academic performance appears on the following page. Unless otherwise indicated, each grade earned is calculated into the student’s cumulative grade point average (CGPA) and the credits assigned for the course taken are included in the calculation of total clock hours attempted


Letter Grade Numerical Value GPA  
A 94-100% 4.00
A- 90-93% 3.70
B+ 87-89% 3.33
B 83-86% 3.00
B- 80-82% 2.70
C+ 77-79% 2.30
C 73-76% 2.00
C- 70-72% 1.70
D+ 67-69% 1.30
D 60-66% 1.00
F 0-59 % 0.00
I Incomplete*
TR Transfer Credit**
W Withdrawal**


* Grade not calculated into cumulative grade point average (CGPA) but course hours are included in total credits attempted.

** Grade not calculated in CGPA and course hours are not included in total credits attempted.

Repeated Courses

The new grade for a failed course that has been repeated will not replace the prior grade. Both the grade earned and the credits taken for the repeated course will be included in the SAP calculations.

Incompletes (Grades of I)

At the discretion of the instructor, a student may be assigned a temporary grade of incomplete (I) to allow the student more time to complete missing coursework or to take a required exam. Upon completion of the work or exam, the earned grade replaces the grade of “I” and is calculated into the grade average for the level and for the CGPA. If the missing work or exam is not completed within two weeks from the last day of the course, a grade of “F” will be assigned and computed into the final grade average for the course and into the CGPA.

TR Grade

A grade of TR is assigned for a student’s successful transfer of credits earned from an accredited institution. Neither the grade nor the credits are included in the CGPA or credits attempted calculations. The total number of credits transferred is deducted from the total number of credits needed for program completion. The maximum time frame (MTF) for a transfer student will be 1.5 times the total hours needed for program completion.


W Grade

A student who formally withdraws from the institution before the mid-point (50% or half-way point) of a course will be assigned a grade of W for the course. The W grade is not included in the calculation of the CGPA and the credits for the course are not included in the determination of total credits attempted.

WP Grade

A student who formally withdraws from the institution after the mid-point of a course and who had earned an overall score of 2.5 or higher by the time of the withdrawal will be assigned a grade of WP for the course. The WP grade is not included in the calculation of the CGPA and the credits for the course are not included in the determination of total credits attempted.

WF Grade

A student who formally withdraws from the institution or who stops attending after the mid-point of a course and who has earned less than an overall score of 2.5 or higher by the time of the withdrawal will be assigned a grade of WF for the course. The WF grade is included in the calculation of the CGPA and the credits for the course are included in the determination of total credits attempted.


Students must make satisfactory progress both in terms of cumulative grade point average and the total amount of time taken to complete the required course sequence as outlined by semester in the Okan International University Catalog. To maintain satisfactory progress, the student must:

Complete their total program in no more than 1.5 times the number of semesters described in this catalog for the program

Establish and maintain at least a 2.0 GPA by the end of the student’s second term of enrollment and all subsequent terms. (Grades for classes that were transferred from another university are shown as “T” on the transcript and will not be used in computing the student’s grade point average.)

Factors that may influence satisfactory progress and that may result in extended time are:

  • Deviation from the catalog requirements in the number of hours taken per semester
  • Deviation in the course sequence recommended
  • Withdrawal from classes
  • Repeated courses
  • Grades of “Incomplete”
  • Changing the major or the program
  • Probation or suspension
  • Grade appeal process
  • Earning more than one degree at a time


Definition of Satisfactory Academic Progress:

Each student enrolled at Okan International University must demonstrate that he or she is making satisfactory academic progress toward the completion of his or her chosen program of study. The criteria that each student must meet to qualify as making “Satisfactory Academic Progress” are defined below. A student who is failing to meet this criterion at any point outlined below will not meet the standard of “Satisfactory Academic Progress”. Any of three remedies may be applied if a student is not making Satisfactory Academic Progress. These are as follows: academic probation, restricted class load status and/or termination from the program of study.

The definition of Satisfactory Academic Progress has both qualitative and quantitative criteria that must be met. The student must meet both of these sets of criteria to make Satisfactory Academic Progress. Unmet satisfactory academic progress also affects scholarship eligibility.